Civil » Community Care
When it seems that no-one cares, remember that we do.
When you consider that community or social care is there to help the most vulnerable members of society – the sick, the elderly, the disabled, the young or the homeless – it’s frustrating that the system can make it so difficult for people to get the care and support they are entitled to. Professional legal advice may not be able to change the system, but it can start making it work for you.
How we can help
Howells has a long and proud tradition of social justice, protecting and exercising the rights of those entitled to state help. It’s not just about ensuring that the state meets its statutory obligations – it’s about enabling you to live as rich and as independent a life as you can, and giving you an enduring safety net of proper community care.
We can assist with:
- Assessments of needs and care planning
- Challenges to assessments of community care needs
- Delays in making care assessments
- Challenges to rejection of proposed care packages
- Challenges to removal of services or care packages
- Direct payments, personal budgets or individual budgets
- Carers’ rights (including the right to a carer’s assessment)
- Charging for care services
- NHS continuing care funding and care home fees
- Home adaptations and/or equipment provision
- Care and support services for children
- Provision for asylum seekers
- Breaches of human rights and Judicial Review
- Court of Protection work
- Complaints procedures
We appreciate that worry about costs can be the biggest barrier to getting professional help – don’t let it stop you. We are one of the few firms in the region who can offer public funding (commonly known as Legal Aid) to clients who are eligible.
If you are a grandparent caring full time for your grandchildren who are living with you, are you aware of what your legal rights may be? We can help and advise on your legal rights and what support you are entitled to, call any of our offices for more information.
- To enable clients to access the state aid that they are entitled to with the minimum of
stress and upset
- To ensure clients feel properly supported and effectively represented at all times
- To remain a strong, staunch and tireless advocate for your rights
- To remove any fear, worry or mystery about the legal process
- To communicate regularly, openly and sensitively and always be ready to listen
- To clearly explain funding options such as Legal Aid and make the quality advice you need accessible and affordable
- To use other expert teams within the firm such as human rights, welfare benefits, housing, etc to provide an all-round service
Our Community Care team is a dedicated practice group driven hard by its belief in justice for all – and its desire to deliver it for everyone. These are smart lawyers with sharp minds, tough and resolute in their legal representation, sensitive and compassionate in their client relationships. They understand that they’re not dealing with ‘cases’ but with people, not bound up in legal process but in real lives. It’s a team you’ll want on your side.