Civil » Equality and Discrimination
The Equality Act protects individuals from being discriminated against in all sorts of ways, whether you are at work, out shopping, using a bank or building society, going to the pub or are on holiday or studying. If you think you may have been discriminated against we can help.
How we can help:
It is against the law to discriminate against anyone because of:
- being married or in a civil partnership
- being pregnant or having a child
- being or becoming a transsexual person
- race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
- religion, belief or lack of religion/belief
- sexual orientation
If you have been discriminated against on grounds of disability you may be able to claim for compensation, call us on 0114 249 6666 to discuss your claim.
Costs and Payment Options
Howells offers every client a free initial telephone consultation to discuss your options and whether you have a claim. It may be that you qualify for further free advice or will want to look at our excellent range of great value fixed fee services.
Free legal advice is available if you have either:
- Legal expenses insurance or
- You are eligible for legal aid
For those who are not eligible for free advice, other payment options including hourly rates and fixed fee services are designed to make Discrimination advice accessible and affordable.
- Simple claims (eg one-off, straightforward incidents) £249 + VAT
- Complex cases (eg more involved, longer term discrimination) £499 + VAT
If your case is suitable and has good merits we can also offer a damages based agreement (also known as ‘no win, no fee’), at 25% of damages received so you don’t have to worry about costs.
Age Discrimination of TV Star – article
Age Discrimination in Employment and Recruitment – article
Equality and Human Rights Commission: http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/