Civil » Housing
When home sweet home isn’t, we’re here to help.
It’s hard to overstate the physical and emotional impact that housing issues can have on individuals and families. The threat of eviction, being made homeless, a landlord who withholds essential repairs, Local Authority actions, these can all lead to worry, stress and sometimes illness. Professional legal advice can’t just shut the door on these problems but it can provide the key to dealing with them.
How we can help
Howells has a long and proud tradition of social justice, protecting and exercising the housing rights of tenants in disputes with both private and public sector landlords.
We can assist with:
- Defending possession or repossession proceedings
- Taking action over disrepair
- Claiming for harassment and/or unlawful eviction
- Advising on homelessness issues, including Local Authority assistance
- Advising on tenancy agreements
- Advising on allocations and transfers
- Advising on succession and assignment of your tenancy
- Defending injunctions for anti-social behaviour
Please note that Legal Aid is now only available for possession cases and homelessness cases; and for disrepair cases if there is a threat of serious injury or harm occurring if the repairs are not done. However, do not let cost be a barrier to seeking help – we will look at any available funding and payment options to assist you.
- To ensure clients feel properly supported and effectively represented at all times
- To remain a strong, staunch and tireless advocate for your rights
- To remove any fear, worry or mystery about the legal process
- To communicate regularly, openly and sensitively and always be ready to listen
- To clearly explain any available funding options and make the quality advice you need accessible and affordable
- To use other expert teams within the firm such as welfare benefits, debt, family, etc to provide an all-round service
Our team, headed up by housing law heavyweight Lindsey Rawson, is a dedicated practice group driven hard by its belief in justice for all – and its desire to deliver it for everyone.
These are smart lawyers with sharp minds, tough and resolute in their legal representation, sensitive and compassionate in their client relationships. They understand that they’re not dealing with ‘cases’ but with people, not bound up in legal process but in real lives. It’s a team you’ll want on your side.