Civil » Police Actions
When you can’t call 999, you can call on us.
The police are there to serve the community, keep us safe and protect us from crime. Whilst they have a great power in society they also have a great responsibility to the public. So what happens when you feel that the police have let you down, that you have been wrongly arrested, injured or have been caused serious distress? Whilst you may feel that you are powerless against the police, you have the right to justice as you would if you had been wronged by any other authority. So if you feel that you have a case for complaint against the police, we can help.
How we can help
If you have been subjected to any of the following, Howells’ expert police law team can pursue the case for you:
- Miscarriages of justice
- Wrongful convictions
- Assault at the hands of the police
- False imprisonment or being held by the police longer than lawfully allowed
- Malicious prosecution
- Police negligence
- A breach of your human rights by the police
- Trespassing on your property by the police
- Trespassing that resulted in your property being damaged or seized and not returned
We can also assist with:
- Taking action and complaints against the police and other public authorities
- Judicial review cases
- Death in Custody inquest cases
- Appeal processes to the Independent Police Complaints Commission at the conclusion of a police investigation
If you have a case for any of the above, we are here to advise on the best way forward depending on the circumstances and to guide you throughout the process. We will discuss the potential outcome of your police compensation claim and if it is likely that your claim will be settled and compensation awarded. If the claim cannot be settled, proceedings will be issued at Court. A claim may progress to a trial if settlement cannot be reached and if in our view the claim has sufficient prospects of success.
- To determine what outcome you want from the outset as there may be options for how your police complaint is dealt with by the police’s complaint department
- To guide and support you through your case to try and make it as stress free as possible
- To earn for clients the maximum possible compensation settlement
- To remain proactive, responsive, committed and fully focused for the duration
- To maintain regular contact throughout, offering clear, honest appraisals of the situation
- To examine funding options such as Legal Aid and make the quality advice you need accessible and affordable
- To ensure clients feel properly supported and effectively represented at all times
Our Police Actions team, led by Peter Mahy, is known nationwide for its expertise and effectiveness in the assessment and pursuit of police complaints. It has been awarded the top grading in an independent peer review of its work, one of just two firms in the whole country to achieve this; and it is regularly ranked highly in the influential Chambers legal directory, the only firm outside of London to consistently earn this rating. These are smart lawyers with sharp minds, tough and resolute in their legal representation, diligent and skillful in their investigatory work. It’s a team you’ll want on your side.
Your questions, simply answered; Police Actions FAQ
Chambers UK 2016
Howells is highly ranked as a law firm for Police Law by Chambers UK. The prestigious guide says Howells is a “widely respected regional practice based in Sheffield, frequently retained to handle substantial inquests, police complaints and deaths in custody. Particularly well known for its able handling of cases involving a human rights element.”