Crime » Prison Law
You may lose your freedom, but you don’t lose your rights.
The fact you are in prison doesn’t mean that you don’t have any rights. We can help protect those rights and ensure that you are fully and fairly represented within the prison system, assisting with anything from parole hearings to categorisation reviews.
We understand that all our clients are different, with different needs, and that some people may require additional support if they are feeling particularly vulnerable or unable to cope with prison life. To Howells, you’re a lot more than a number and we work hard to tailor our services to the person behind the prisoner.
How we can help
Howells has an impressive record in challenging the Prison Service in many areas. Our experienced advocates represent prisoners before the Independent Adjudicator, Parole Board and other bodies regularly.
We can assist with:
- Adjudications & Appeals
- Categorisation & Appeals
- Licence Recall & Conditions
- Lifer Hearings
- IPP Hearings
- Sentence Planning/Progression
- Sentence Calculation
- HDC Appeals
- Judicial Review
- Disciplinary Proceedings
- Prison transfers
- HDC pre-decision
- Closed visits
- Banned visitors
- Prison related issues
Where practical, we will arrange to see prisoners face-to-face or by video link as soon as possible.
Clients can contact us on our Freephone number – 0800 531 6040
- To help to pursue for clients the most appropriate and lawful result
- To maintain regular contact throughout, offering clear, honest appraisals of the situation
- To examine funding options such as Legal Aid and make the quality advice you need accessible and affordable
- To be a supportive, patient, non-judgemental advisor throughout
- To ensure clients feel properly supported and effectively represented at all times
- To use other expert teams within the firm to assist in areas such as civil liberties
Our Prison Law Team is one of the country’s biggest and best. It’s part of a criminal defence team that is consistently ranked in the top tier of providers in the North East and Yorkshire, although it regularly represents clients from outside the region such is its reputation. These are smart lawyers with sharp minds, tough and resolute in their legal representation, diligent and fearless in their challenging of the authorities, dedicated and proactive in their dealings with clients. It’s a team you’ll want on your side on the inside.
Your questions, simply answered; Prison Law FAQ