Family » Adoption
Adoption isn’t child’s play. But we can help make it work.
Many prospective adopters struggle with the fact that something that springs from such genuine motives – the desire to give a child the love and stability of a ‘forever home’ – should be subject to so much red tape. Even though they understand that the interests of the child are of paramount importance – and therefore need a high degree of legal safeguard – it can still be a stressful experience. And while professional legal advice can’t help you avoid the ride, it can hold your hand and get you safely to the finish.
There are several types of adoption and they are all undeniably complex and involved. Don’t be put off – it’s our job to make everything clear, to guide you through the hoops and to make you feel as comfortable as possible with the whole process. You’re not on your own.
How we can help
We can act for anyone seeking to adopt a child – step parents, couples or singles, married or unmarried, same sex couples – and we can advise on all types of adoption arrangement, including:
- Adoption by step parent
- Adoption by relatives
- Adoption by foster parent(s)
- Adoption from care
- International adoption – where the child is being brought from outside of England and Wales, and immigration laws also apply
- Local authority adoption – where a local authority is placing your child for adoption
- Special Guardianship Orders
- To sustain our clients through an often gruelling process with kindness, understanding
- To remain proactive, responsive and fully focused for the duration
- To demystify the adoption process and give clients a clear understanding of both formalities and responsibilities
- To communicate regularly, openly and sympathetically and always be ready to listen
- To support clients through the post-adoption transition
- To assess funding options and our own legal costs to ensure affordability is never a barrier
The Howells team is one of the best in the country. It has been consistently highly ranked for family work in the north, and is overseen by the hugely respected and much admired Alyson Siddall. Alyson has developed a group of many talents but with shared values. Tough and resolute in their legal representation, sensitive and compassionate in their client relationships, the team understand that they’re not dealing with ‘cases’ but with people, not bound up in legal process but in real lives.