You may be wondering how can a solicitor help with probate? The first thing to consider is that you should never underestimate the emotional and physical burden dealing with the estate of a recently deceased loved one.
Not only are you grieving but you may become overwhelmed with the large amount of paperwork and applications needed to deal with probate and trying to understand all that is involved and the legal terminology.
If the deceased had made a Will, probate is likely to be more straightforward, however this still includes; registering the death, tracking down the Will, dealing with documentation for grant of probate, dealing with inheritance tax, closing down bank accounts, paying off debts, dealing with the deceased’s life insurance documentation, having the estate valued and sharing out the remaining assets.
If no valid will has been left, probate may be even more complex with laws known as intestacy rules governing how their estate should be distributed. Unmarried or divorced partners normally don’t inherit anything under intestacy rules (see here for other reasons why everyone should make a will).
As a Solicitor, we can help with probate by:
- Dealing with paper work, including the application to obtain a grant and the Inheritance Tax form, sending these to the registry and providing copies to you
- Advising you regarding the terms of the Will
- Providing advice and information to you regarding your responsibilities as an Executor
- Obtaining valuations of the assets and liabilities in the estate
- Dealing with any tax that is payable or eligible for a refund
- Dealing with a complicated estate left by someone who did not make a Will
- Challenging the validity of a Will
- Complex arrangements in a Will, such as assets held in a trust
- The estate if it contains foreign assets
- Encashing the assets and paying any liabilities out of estate funds
- Distributing the estate
- Inheritance tax
The main benefit of having a Solicitor help with probate, like myself, is that this process will be made much easier and take away some of the stress for you. Not only this, but we will make sure that you have the best and most efficient outcome possible.
To discuss your specific situation with me, call our wills and probate team to make an appointment. We offer fixed fees on most of our services and we are flexible with appointments to suit your needs, including offering telephone appointments.
Contact us by calling:
Sheffield: 0114 249 6666 Barnsley: 01226 805 190 Rotherham: 01709 364 000
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What is Probate?