Local Restrictions: What you need to know | Howells Solicitors
Make a payment

Local Restrictions: What you need to know

Howells Solicitors

24 Nov, 2020

The Government announced on November 23rd that the local lock down will end on Wednesday 2nd December and local restrictions will apply to all areas of England. As many areas of South Yorkshire are predicted to fall back into tier 3, we cover what this will mean for you and your family.

All Tiers

Across all tiers, everyone:

  • Must wear a face covering in most indoor public settings, unless they have an exemption
  • Should attend school or college as normal, unless they are self-isolating. Schools, universities, colleges and early years settings remain open in all tiers
  • Should walk or cycle where possible, plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes when travelling

In 3 all tiers, the following businesses and venues can remain open:

  • Essential and non-essential retail, including indoor and outdoor markets and car boot sales
  • Certain leisure and sporting facilities such as gyms, sports courts and facilities, leisure centres, fitness and dance studios, golf courses, swimming pools, riding centres, outdoor playgrounds – subject to relevant social contact rules in each tier. Indoor group activities and classes should not take place at tier 3
  • Personal care and close contact services such as hairdressers and barbers, beauty salons, tattoo parlours, nail salons, spas and beauty services, massage parlours and tanning salons
  • Public buildings, such as libraries, community centres and halls. They should not host events for private hire, such as birthday parties or most other social activities in tier 3
  • Allotments, recycling and waste centres, public toilets, car parks
  • Essential public services such as the NHS and medical services, courts, and jobcentre plus sites
  • Places of worship – communal worship can now resume, subject to relevant social contact rules in each tier

Care Homes

Visits to care homes can take place with arrangements such as substantial screens, visiting pods, and window visits. Regular testing will be offered to up to 2 family members or friends per resident by Christmas, which – when combined with other infection-control measures such as PPE – will support indoor visits with physical contact.

Support Bubbles

Support bubbles have been expanded. From 2 December you can form a support bubble with another household if any of the following apply to you:

  • You are the only adult in your household (any other members of the household having been under 18 on 12 June 2020) or are the only adult who does not have a disability that needs continuous care
  • You have a child under 1
  • You live with a child under 5 with a disability that needs continuous care

Childcare Bubbles

A childcare bubble is where one household links with one other household to provide informal childcare to a child or children aged 13 or under. They can provide the childcare in either or both of the homes from the 2 households. ‘Informal’ childcare means it is unpaid and unregistered.

The childcare can be provided where necessary in any location – public or private, indoors or outdoors.

You cannot change childcare bubbles after November 5th – if you began a childcare bubble with another household before 5th November, you cannot change it to a different household.

Find more guidance on Childcare Bubbles here.

Tier 3: Very High alert

In tier 3:

  • You must not meet socially indoors or in most outdoor places with anybody you do not live with, or who is not in your support bubble, this includes in any private garden or at most outdoor venues
  • You must not socialise in a group of more than 6 in some other outdoor public spaces, including parks, beaches, countryside accessible to the public, a public garden, grounds of a heritage site or castle, or a sports facility – this is called the ‘rule of 6’
  • Hospitality settings, such as bars (including shisha venues), pubs, cafes and restaurants are closed – they are permitted to continue sales by takeaway, click-and-collect, drive-through or delivery services.
  • Accommodation such as hotels, B&Bs, campsites, and guest houses must close. There are several exemptions, such as for those who use these venues as their main residence, and those requiring the venues where it is reasonably necessary for work or education and training
  • Indoor entertainment and tourist venues must close
  • Indoor attractions at mostly outdoor entertainment venues must also close (indoor shops, through-ways and public toilets at such attractions can remain open).
  • Leisure and sports facilities may continue to stay open, but group exercise classes (including fitness and dance) should not go ahead. Saunas and steam rooms should close
  • There should no public attendance at spectator sport or indoor performances and large business events should not be taking place. Elite sport events may continue to take place without spectators
  • Large outdoor events (performances and shows) should not take place, with the exception of drive-in events
  • Places of worship remain open, but you must not attend with or socialise with anyone outside of your household or support bubble while you are there, unless a legal exemption applies
  • Weddings and funerals can go ahead with restrictions on the number of attendees – 15 people can attend wedding ceremonies, wedding receptions are not allowed, 30 people can attend funeral ceremonies, 15 people can attend linked commemorative events
  • Organised outdoor sport, and physical activity and exercise classes can continue, however higher-risk contact activity should not take place
  • Organised indoor sport, physical activity and exercise classes cannot take place indoors. There are exceptions for indoor disability sport, sport for educational purposes and supervised sport and physical activity for under-18s
  • Avoid travelling to other parts of the UK, including for overnight stays other than where necessary, such as for work, education, youth services, to receive medical treatment, or because of caring responsibilities. You can travel through other areas as part of a longer journey

For the full Government guidance see here.

If you would like to keep up to date with the news from Howells Solicitors, receive exclusive offers and free legal advice, sign to our mailing list here.

How Can I Support a Friend Suffering Domestic Abuse? – Ask an Expert

Do I need a Solicitor for a Voluntary Interview?