At Howells Solicitors, our people are at the heart of everything that we do. From the moment a client contacts us, all the way through to the closing of a legal matter, our dedicated and enthusiastic team support our clients every step of their journey. We are committed to “growing our own” to fit our ethos of continuing to deliver friendly, approachable and quality legal advice to the South Yorkshire community and beyond.
We are searching for motivated and enthusiastic individuals, who share our strong commitment to social justice, to join our highly renown legal teams. Howells Solicitors are encouraging applications for the exciting Solicitor Training Contract which is now open for applications. Training contract to commence in spring 2025
About Howells Solicitors
At Howells, we offer approachable and quality legal advice to the local community and beyond. We have more than 40 years’ experience in providing high quality legal advice and pride ourselves on our sense of social conscience in everything that we do. We are keen to train and develop the next generation of talent to add to the expertise the firm has to offer. That culture has been central to the firm ever since its foundation with several partners and the managing partner Peter Mahy being former trainees of the firm.
Solicitor Training Contract
Howells’ Solicitor Training Contract is open to both internal and external applicants. We hope to encourage applications from those who share our strong commitment to social justice and provide a high-quality training environment to progress towards qualification as a Solicitor with all the support we can provide on the journey. The aim in our training processes is to develop the next generation of legal talent and as such we hope to equip any trainee with everything, they need to be successful as Solicitors with the firm for many years to come.
The process towards qualification has of course recently changed with the advent of the Solicitors Qualifying Examination which must be accompanied by Qualifying Work Experience. Those who have previously or are shortly to complete a Legal Practice Course can also seek to proceed towards qualification by way of a traditional Training Contract. We have extensive expertise in a wide range of law including family, clinical negligence and personal injury, conveyancing, wills, trusts and probate and civil litigation and as such are able to accept applications by either route, or offer bespoke training packages to successful applicants.
What does the Solicitor Training Contract involve?
The Solicitor training contract is suitable for those who have previously or are shortly to complete a Legal Practice Course (LPC). However, a law degree is not essential for instance for those seeking to qualify via the Solicitors Qualifying Examination route as we are looking for aspiring solicitors from all backgrounds. We are looking for applicants who can demonstrate:
– Strong academic record
– Energy and spark, who can relate to those around them
– Strong work ethic
– Positive attitude
– Ability to work well within a team
– Commercial awareness
We also welcome applications from those completing the LPC part-time and seeking employment as a paralegal until agreed commencement of their Training Contact.
If your application is successful, you will be allocated to a number of departments within the firm during your contract, gaining experience as a fee earner and managing caseloads. After successful completion of your training period, whilst this can never be guaranteed, departments hope to be able to offer a qualified lawyer position (subject to probation).
Under close supervision and mentoring, your tasks may include:
– Legal research
– Conducting interviews with clients and provision of legal advice
– Drafting case papers including Court documentation and statements
– Providing legal support generally to the team.
– Assisting senior lawyers in bringing and defending High Court, Family Court and County Court proceedings.
– Attending Court to conduct advocacy and/or to support and assist Counsel
– Conduct of casework generally
– Maintaining accurate records and ensuring confidentiality
– Participating in team meeting and social/charitable events
Howells offer a wide range of benefits including:
– Generous holiday entitlement (30 days fee earners/managers and 23 days increasing by 1 day each year up to 28 days support staff)
– 3 discretionary days Christmas to New Year
– 8 bank holidays
– Flexi time scheme, with the ability to take up to 4 flex days each year
– Contributory pension scheme
– Group Life Assurance (death in service) – after 2 years
– STAR (Special Thanks and Recognition) award
– Training and development opportunities
– Social fund
– Contractual Sick Pay Entitlement
– Contractual Maternity Pay Entitlement
– Recruitment Bonus Payments
– Voluntary benefits e.g. Westfield Health scheme, cycle to work scheme, staff savings scheme
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a formal interview which will also include a presentation and scenario questions. Candidates will be shortlisted and if successful a commencement date to be agreed with the candidate in accordance with their educational and professional needs.
If you have any further queries about our training processes or otherwise think a career with Howells may be for you, please feel free to contact our HR team on (0114) 249 6763 or email at HR@Howellsllp.com
Please send all completed applications to HR@howellsllp.com with the position applied for in the subject line