Crown Court Proceedings

Consumer Claims and Civil Disputes

Consumer Claims and Civil Disputes

Our Consumer claims and civil disputes specialists handle a range of issues, including disputes with an organisation or an individual, and can advise you on what taking action will cost, how long it’s likely to take and whether you have a strong case.

If you need help resolving a legal civil dispute for example:

  • The quality of work done by a builder
  • A car you have been sold
  • Money owed to you, or claims made against you for money owing that you want to dispute

Then our specialists can help.

How we can help

When a person or an organisation deprives you of your consumer or civil rights, it can lead to an ongoing dispute and considerable anxiety for you until the dispute is resolved.

It could also mean you need the best legal advice and representation to protect your interests and help end the civil dispute as soon as possible.

The special expertise our consumer claims and civil disputes specialists have developed in this area of dispute resolution means we can provide effective legal advice at an affordable, fixed price.

Our dispute resolution specialists can support with:

While bringing disputes to a conclusion through discussion and mediation is often the best result for everyone involved, sometimes cases need to go to court and we can support you through this.

Many people simply cannot afford thousands of pounds to take a case all the way to court or defend a case that is going to court. However, quite often some initial advice just to give you an idea of where you stand or to point you in the right direction can be a big help to resolve your problem.

That is where Howells Solicitors are here to help you, either as an individual or as a small business, whether you want to bring or defend a claim through the courts.

Civil Disputes Costs

We offer initial advice for a fixed fee of £200 + VAT

For this fee we can;

  • Carry out an initial diagnostic interview with a qualified and experienced solicitor
  • Consider your papers
  • Provide you with initial advice on the strength of your case and how much it might be worth
  • Advise you on taking your case further with us if you wish.

2 steps to contacting Howells:

Step 1

Call our New Enquiry Team on 0114 249 66 66 or email [email protected] for an initial chat about your situation.

Step 2

We’ll listen carefully to you, clarify what you’re trying to achieve, and then explain if and how we can help you. We will take some initial information and liaise with a legal professional regarding your case. If it looks like we can help, we will book you in for a consultation with a legal professional.

The Consumer Claims and Civil Disputes team

Howells Partner, Graham Hogarth, is a highly experienced civil litigator and heads a team who all passionately believe in giving people a voice in legal disputes. They will listen and advise honestly as to the merits of your case and will set out clearly the process involved so you can make a fully informed, objective decision about pursuing or defending a matter.

Common Questions

Q.When should I get in touch with the consumer claims and civil disputes team?

A.You should get in touch if: 1. You have purchased defective goods. 2.Services such as building services have not been carried out properly. 3.Someone owes you money. 4.Someone says you owe them money and you wish to dispute this. 5.You have a contractual dispute with somebody.

Q.What happens first?

A.Please contact our new enquiry team who will see if this is a matter we can deal with. We will then discuss the matter with you at an initial appointment and then advise you how you can resolve your dispute, bring a claim against the other party, or defend the claim brought against you. We will advise you on your options and can either deal with the whole case for you, or assist you with parts of the case that you are struggling with such as preparing the court papers. We will advise you on next steps.

Q.Will I have to go to court?

A.This depends on the nature of your case. Some cases can be resolved through negotiation without going to court. If the case does go to court, then we can either deal with the case for you, or advise you on the court procedure and help you with the papers.