Motoring Offences Howells Solicitors

Motoring Offences

Motoring Offences

If you have been accused of a motoring offence that will affect your licence, we are here to help.

Sometimes a motoring offence may be minor, at other times it can be far more serious with potentially devastating consequences. If you have received a summons or Notice of Intended Prosecution or have been contacted by the police our criminal defence specialists can advise you on the best course of action to take.

It is always best to contact us immediately as some options, such as driver awareness courses, are not available once a court date has been set.

How we can help

If you have been summoned to court our Motoring team can provide you with information on the likely outcome of your case and defend you in court, especially if you face a driving ban / disqualification.

We will check that the correct procedures have been followed and advise upon the strength of the case against you. Even if you are pleading guilty it is still important to contact us. Many cases are able to be defended in a way to reduce or avoid penalties such as losing your licence.

If you have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) or a Court Summons, it is important that you contact us immediately. If you are being investigated it is important that you get the advice you need before you are interviewed.

We cover all types of road traffic offences, including:

  • Speeding
  • Exceptional hardship cases (totting up 12 points on your licence)
  • Drink driving
  • Careless driving
  • Mobile phone offences
  • Dangerous driving
  • Driving without insurance
  • Failing to stop and report an accident
  • Driving whilst disqualified
  • Reinstatement of your licence after it has been revoked by the DVLA
  • Tachograph matters

Motoring Offences Costs

Legal Aid is usually not available for motoring matters but in most instances, we are able to take on cases on a fixed fee basis. These are designed to give you peace of mind over costs right from the start. For information on costs and timescales See here for more details. 

Do you drive for a living?

If you need your licence for your job we may be able to help. In some circumstances we can apply for you to keep your licence even if you have more than 12 points.

If you are a taxi driver, penalty points can affect your taxi licence. We have a team of lawyers with an impressive success rate in keeping taxi drivers’ licences for them.

See more how we can support you with Exceptional Hardship cases

2 steps to contacting Howells:

Step 1

Call our New Enquiry Team on 0114 249 66 66 or email [email protected] for an initial chat about your situation.

Step 2

We’ll listen carefully to you, clarify what you’re trying to achieve, and then explain if and how we can help you. We will take some initial information and liaise with a legal professional regarding your case. If it looks like we can help, we will book you in for a consultation with a legal professional.

The Team

Chris Wong
Partner and Solicitor
0114 249 6650