Housing Advice Howells Solicitors Free Legal Advice


Free Drop In Service Available


Professional legal advice regarding housing issues can’t just shut the door on these problems but it can provide the key to dealing with them.

Possession claims howells solicitors marie busfield
Read More
Possession Claims – What You Should Know

How we can help

Howells has a long and proud tradition of protecting and exercising the housing rights of tenants in disputes with both private and public sector landlords.

Our housing team can assist with:

  • Defending possession or repossession proceedings
  • Taking action over disrepair
  • Claiming for harassment and/or unlawful eviction
  • Advising on homelessness issues, including Local Authority assistance
  • Advising on tenancy agreements
  • Advising on allocations and transfers
  • Advising on succession and assignment of your tenancy
  • Defending injunctions for anti-social behaviour


Legal Aid

Please note that Legal Aid is now only available for possession cases and homelessness cases, and for disrepair cases if there is a threat of serious injury or harm occurring if the repairs are not done.

However, do not let cost be a barrier to seeking help – we will look at any available funding and payment options to assist you.

Fixed fees

Our fixed fee services are designed to make Housing advice accessible and affordable and to give peace of mind that you will know from the outset the total costs.

An initial diagnostic interview will cost £200.00 plus VAT.

If further work is required we will be able to give you an estimate at the diagnostic interview of any additional costs.

Housing Drop-in Sessions

If you are at risk or have been made homeless, or need help with possession proceedings, our advice drop-in at Sheffield is open;

Mondays 10am – 12noon
Tuesdays 2pm – 4pm
Thursdays 10am – 12 noon
Fridays 10am – 12noon

To prove eligibility for Legal Aid, please bring proof of income with you. This includes:

  • Proof of benefits
  • 3 months bank statements
  • 3 months wage slips if you are employed

2 steps to contacting Howells:

Step 1

Call our New Enquiry Team on 0114 249 66 66 or email [email protected] for an initial chat about your situation.

Step 2

We’ll listen carefully to you, clarify what you’re trying to achieve, and then explain if and how we can help you. We will take some initial information and liaise with a legal professional regarding your case. If it looks like we can help, we will book you in for a consultation with a legal professional.

The Housing team

Our team, headed up by housing law expert Graham Hogarth, is a dedicated team with many years of experience. Delivering quality law with excellent care, they understand that they’re not dealing with ‘cases’ but with people, not bound up in legal process but in real lives. It’s a team you’ll want on your side.


Common Questions

Q.When should I get in touch with the Housing team?

A.You should get in touch if • Your landlord says you have rent arrears • Your landlord says I have breached the terms of my tenancy due to • anti social behaviour or any other reason • You are homeless or about to be made homeless • You want help with rehousing • You have been unlawfully evicted by your landlord • You are being harassed by your landlord • You have serious repairs that need doing but your landlord has refused or is taking a long time to get the repairs done

Q.What happens first?

A.We will discuss the matter with you at an initial appointment with one of our specialist advisors. You will need to provide us with some personal details and proof of your income from the month leading up to the appointment. We will discuss with you the next steps and your position generally. If you have a choice of options, we will discuss those options with you.

Q.Will I have to go to court?

A.This depends upon the nature of your case. If possession proceedings have been issued or if your case involves an injunction, then you will almost always have to attend court.

Q.How long will my case take?

A.This will depend upon the nature of the problem and how far in advance you contact us. Possession proceedings can take a matter of days to complete however other more complicated cases may take up to 6 months or longer. We will try and give you an indication at the start of your case but this can change depending on how the case develops.