Spouse | Howells Solicitors



If you are the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen, you can make an application for a Partner visa which will allow you to remain in the UK for up to 5 years. Strict requirements need to be satisfied during the 5-year period.

If the requirements have been met, then you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. Alternatively, if you are a British citizen and would like to apply for your partner to join you in the UK you may also apply as long as you meet the qualifying requirements.

In order to qualify:

  • Both parties must be 18 years of age or over
  • Both parties must intend to permanently live in the UK
  • Relationship must be ‘genuine and subsisting’
  • The oversees partner must have a satisfactory level of English
  • Your marriage or civil partnership must be recognised by UK law
  • You must show that you can support yourselves and any dependents without having to claim benefits from the government

Our Immigration specialists can support you through the application to ensure the best success rate.


We appreciate that worry about costs can be the biggest barrier to getting professional help – but don’t let it stop you. We offer a competitively priced service for all private immigration matters including a range of fixed fee options.

The fixed fee services are designed to make Immigration advice accessible and affordable and to give peace of mind that you will know from the outset the total costs. For information on these fixed fees please see here.

Flexible Appointments

Our Immigration specialists understand it’s not always possible to attend our offices, that’s why our team offer appointments via SKYPE and via telephone, as well as face to face.

2 steps to contacting Howells:

Step 1

Call our New Enquiry Team on 0114 249 66 66 or email [email protected] for an initial chat about your situation.

Step 2

We’ll listen carefully to you, clarify what you’re trying to achieve, and then explain if and how we can help you. We will take some initial information and liaise with a legal professional regarding your case. If it looks like we can help, we will book you in for a consultation with a legal professional.