Whilst you may feel that you are powerless against the police, you have the right to justice as you would if you had been wronged by any other authority. So if you feel that you have a case for complaint against the police, we can help.
How we can help
If you have been subjected to any of the following, Howells’ expert police law team can pursue the case for you:
- Miscarriages of justice
- Wrongful convictions
- Assault at the hands of the police
- False imprisonment or being held by the police longer than lawfully allowed
- Malicious prosecution
- Police negligence
- A breach of your human rights by the police
- Trespassing on your property by the police
- Trespassing that resulted in your property being damaged or seized and not returned
We can also assist with:
- Taking action and complaints against the police and other public authorities
- Judicial review cases
- Death in Custody inquest cases
- Appeal processes to the Independent Police Complaints Commission at the conclusion of a police investigation
If you have a case for any of the above, we are here to advise on the best way forward depending on the circumstances and to guide you throughout the process. We will discuss the potential outcome of your police compensation claim and if it is likely that your claim will be settled and compensation awarded. If the claim cannot be settled, proceedings will be issued at Court. A claim may progress to a trial if settlement cannot be reached and if in our view the claim has sufficient prospects of success.
- To determine what outcome you want from the outset as there may be options for how your police complaint is dealt with by the police’s complaint department
- To earn for clients the maximum possible compensation settlement
- To examine funding options such as Legal Aid and make the quality advice you need accessible and affordable
Chambers UK 2018
Howells is highly ranked as a law firm for Police Law by Chambers UK.
The Sources describe the wide-ranging practice as a “brilliant team to work with”
Legal 500 2017
The department is highly recommended by Legal 500 and claim that
“Howells’s ‘excellent, knowledgeable, sensible and experienced’ team ‘has a wealth of knowledge and experience in the context of inquests into deaths in custody, prison and hospitals’ and is led by Peter Mahy.”
Drop In Day
Advice Drop In at Barnsley
If you feel that you have a complaint against the police for wrongful arrest, injury or serious distress and would like to know whether you have a claim, then call in to our free drop in sessions.
Wednesdays 1pm – 5pm
No appointment needed.
Howells Solicitors, 21-23 Regent St, Barnsley S70 2EG
The Police Actions team
Our Police Actions team, led by Peter Mahy, is known nationwide for its expertise and effectiveness in the assessment and pursuit of police complaints. It has been awarded the top grading in an independent peer review of its work, one of just two firms in the whole country to achieve this; and it is regularly ranked highly in the influential Chambers legal directory, the only firm outside of London to consistently earn this rating. These are smart lawyers with sharp minds, tough and resolute in their legal representation, diligent and skillful in their investigatory work. It’s a team you’ll want on your side.