We understand that all our clients are different, with different needs, and that some people may require additional support if they are feeling particularly vulnerable or unable to cope with prison life. To Howells, you’re a lot more than a number and we work hard to tailor our services to the person behind the prisoner.
How we can help
Howells has an impressive record in challenging the Prison Service in many areas. Our experienced advocates represent prisoners before the Independent Adjudicator, Parole Board and other bodies regularly.
We can assist with:
- Adjudications & Appeals
- Categorisation & Appeals
- Licence Recall & Conditions
- Lifer Hearings
- IPP Hearings
- Sentence Planning/Progression
- Sentence Calculation
- HDC Appeals
- Judicial Review
- Disciplinary Proceedings
- Prison transfers
- HDC pre-decision
- Closed visits
- Banned visitors
- Prison related issues
Where practical, we will arrange to see prisoners face-to-face or by video link as soon as possible.
- To help to pursue for clients the most appropriate and lawful result
- To maintain regular contact throughout, offering clear, honest appraisals of the situation
- To examine funding options such as Legal Aid and make the quality advice you need accessible and affordable
- To be a supportive, patient, non-judgemental advisor throughout
- To ensure clients feel properly supported and effectively represented at all times
- To use other expert teams within the firm to assist in areas such as civil liberties
The prestigious Chambers Guide ranks Howells Criminal department as a top firm.
Legal 500 2017
Howells Criminal department is highly ranked by Legal 500 2017 saying
“The crime practice at Howells is headed by the ‘proactive, knowledgeable and astute’ John Gibson in Sheffield, who has particular experience in defending clients who are alleged to be involved in gang-related crime. The department has considerable advocacy strength. The firm also carries out legal aid work and is particularly well known for its expertise in extraditions, youth crime, public order law and cases involving civil liberties, human rights and mental health. It has also been instructed in cases involving prison law, and in judicial reviews.”
Prison Law FAQs
The Prison Law team
Our Prison Law Team is one of the country’s biggest and best. It’s part of a criminal defence team that is consistently ranked in the top tier of providers in the North East and Yorkshire, although it regularly represents clients from outside the region such is its reputation. These are smart lawyers with sharp minds, tough and resolute in their legal representation, diligent and fearless in their challenging of the authorities, dedicated and proactive in their dealings with clients. It’s a team you’ll want on your side on the inside.