If you find that you are being investigated by a government body or local authority, if you find yourself in trouble at work or if you have been arrested by the police, then it makes sense to get professional guidance at the earliest opportunity. It’s not just about sharing the burden and easing the stress associated with such events, it’s also about getting on top of the facts quickly, seeing if there is a valid defence and advising on the most appropriate course of action going forward.
Moreover, we’ll be in your corner from start to finish; if the investigation results in a charge or prosecution we will also represent you and prepare your defence during court proceedings.
How we can help
We provide a 24 hour service, 7 days a week to anyone who is being investigated. You can contact us at any time on our emergency number 07774 162757 (Sheffield, Barnsley and Rotherham). We cover all areas of arrest and investigation, including:
- Arrest by the Police
- Investigation by the Inland Revenue
- Investigation for tax fraud
- Investigation at work
- Investigation for benefit fraud
- Investigation for a motoring offence, including help to keep your licence if this becomes at risk
If you are being investigated it is important that you get the advice you need before you are interviewed. We will discuss the case with you, obtain details of the accusations, listen to you and then advise you in the best way to respond to the allegations. We will continue to provide you with the help and advice needed throughout the whole investigation.
24 Hour Arrest Helpline
If you have been arrested by the police, our 24/7 accessibility means that one of our team will always be available on call to come to the police station to represent you.
The most important part of the case is often what takes place at the police station, so it is vital to get the representation you need. Remember, our expert criminal team can be contacted at any time on;
07774 162757 – Sheffield, Barnsley, Rotherham
It’s not too late…
Even if you have already been interviewed and have been bailed to return at a later date, it is not too late to seek help and advice. There may be factors to your case that have not been brought to the attention of the police that could be crucial to your case and will influence the outcome.
- To advise you of the best way to proceed within the investigation
- To be a supportive, patient, non-judgmental advisor throughout
- To present your defence in the best light possible
- To remain proactive, responsive, committed and fully focused for the duration of your case
- To use other expert teams within the firm to assist in areas such as the Magistrates Court, Crown Court and the Prison Law teams
- To maintain regular contact throughout, offering clear, honest appraisals of the situation
- To provide clear guidance on costs at the outset of the case
- To examine funding options such as Legal Aid and make the quality advice you need accessible and affordable
- To ensure clients feel properly supported and effectively represented at all times
- To clearly explain the legal process and give clients a clear understanding of both formalities and responsibilities in plain language
- To help to pursue for clients the right result
The prestigious Chambers Guide ranks Howells Criminal department as a top firm.
Legal 500 2017
Howells Criminal department is highly ranked by Legal 500 2017 saying
“The crime practice at Howells is headed by the ‘proactive, knowledgeable and astute’ John Gibson in Sheffield, who has particular experience in defending clients who are alleged to be involved in gang-related crime. The department has considerable advocacy strength. The firm also carries out legal aid work and is particularly well known for its expertise in extraditions, youth crime, public order law and cases involving civil liberties, human rights and mental health. It has also been instructed in cases involving prison law, and in judicial reviews.”
The Under Investigation team
Our expert criminal defence team is a highly experienced, successful and resourceful unit, focused on getting the best possible outcome for its clients. The team is consistently rated in the top band in the North East and Yorkshire in the prestigious Chambers Guide to the Law. These are smart lawyers with sharp minds, tough and resolute in their legal representation, diligent and skilful in their investigatory work. It’s a team you’ll want on your side.