Change of Name Solicitors | Howells Solicitors
Make a payment

Change of Name Solicitors

Changing your name is a big decision. Whether you’re getting married, going through a divorce, or simply want to change your name for personal reasons, it’s crucial to understand the legal requirements and procedures involved in the UK. Our Family Law Solicitors can help you with a change of name deed and provide you with certified copies to update all necessary organisations.

Reasons for Changing Your Name in the UK

There are several reasons why individuals may choose to change their name in the UK:

  • Change of maiden name upon marriage
  • Reverting back to maiden name after a divorce
  • Personal preference
  • Gender reassignment
  • Professional reasons, relevant for actors, performers, or writers who need a stage/pen name
  • Legal documentation and identification purposes, such as updating their birth certificate or driver’s license

Types of Name Changes

Changing Names For Adults

Changing your name as an adult typically involves completing a legal document known as a change of name deed or through marriage.

Changing Names For Children

With the consent of  each parent with parental responsibility, a change of name deed can be used to change a child under the age of 16’s name. Proof of identity is required in the process, and both parents must agree to the name change.

If one parent does not consent, it would be necessary to obtain an order from the court.

Frequently Asked Questions


What Happens After Changing Your Name?

After legally changing your name, it is important to update your records with various organisations and inform relevant bodies.

Is Legal Assistance Necessary with a Change of Name?

Seeking professional help is crucial for a smooth name change process. Legal assistance can provide guidance, ensure accurate documentation, and offer advice on potential challenges. With a family solicitor’s support, you can navigate the process confidently and minimise errors, providing peace of mind throughout.

How Does Changing Your Name Affect Your Personal Identification Documents?

Changing your name can have implications on your personal identification documents. It’s important to update your passport, driver’s license, and financial records to ensure consistency and avoid any confusion. Informing relevant government agencies and organisations about your name change is crucial for accurate documentation.

Do I Have to Inform My Work About a Deed Poll Name Change?

It is generally a good idea to inform your workplace about a change of name deed. This will ensure that your employer has the most up-to-date information and can update their records accordingly. Additionally, informing your workplace about your name change can help avoid any confusion or misunderstandings in the future. It is recommended to check with your company’s HR department or consult your employee handbook for specific procedures and requirements regarding name changes.

Join Our Mailing List

Join our newsletter and receive news, legal help and exclusive offers from our team. Sign up here

Free Consultation

Our Family Law team offer a free 30 minute consultation for new clients and we offer flexible appointments that can be arranged around your work schedule. Contact us on 0114 2496666 to make a booking.

Book Now

How can we help? Contact us today

Contact us on 0114 2496666 and one of our advisors will be in touch to discuss your situation. We will take some initial information and if we can help, we will book you in for a consultation with a legal professional.

Book Now

Request a Call back

The Howells Solicitors law team are compassionate, down-to-earth and professional, offering you the best expert advice. Get in touch with solicitors in Sheffield, Rotherham, and Barnsley to see how we can help. Fill in the form or give us a call at: