Graham is a Partner at Howells and the Head of the Civil Department. He has over 30 years’ experience in the legal profession of bringing and defending claims in the county court and higher courts.
He deals with a wide range of litigation cases including suing or defending claims for faulty goods and services, contractual disputes, and claims for negligence and nuisance. Graham can also advise on the county court small claims procedure and assist clients with parts of their cases that they are pursuing themselves, such as drafting court documents.
He has a particular speciality in landlord and tenant matters including possession proceedings, unlawful evictions, disrepair claims, tenancy disputes, tenancy deposit claims and homeless cases and is one of the best known practitioners in this field in the region.
-Obtaining an award of over £50,000 for a tenant who was unlawfully evicted by a commercial landlord whilst in hospital.
– Pursuing the lead case in the Court of Appeal defining the rights of a foster child to succeed to their foster mother’s tenancy.
– Ascertaining a fundamental breach of contract so as to successfully negotiate a business out of an onerous contract negligently drafted by their previous solicitors thereby saving the business from possible bankruptcy.
– Successfully challenging the local authority by threat of Judicial Review in the High Court over their refusal to house a vulnerable man suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.
– Suspending an eviction warrant for a council tenant by counterclaiming for disrepair whereupon the client had significant works carried out to their property and received compensation which wiped out the rent arrears.
– Successfully defending a large claim brought by a roofing company for none payment of an invoice due to faulty work.